Personalized Yoga with Thompson Tutoring
We offer yoga instruction in one on one sessions or in groups for all ages, children to adults. Like our music and academic instruction, yoga can be taught in the convenience of your home, after school program or other location.
What is Yoga
Yoga contains three parts: postures (asana), breathing (pranayama) and meditation. Yoga practitioners achieve tranquility of the mind and create a sense of well-being, feelings of self-confidence and increased attentiveness, lowered irritability. The act of practicing yoga and meditation inhibits the areas responsible for fear, aggressiveness, and rage, and stimulates the reward centers of the forebrain, which can lead to a state of lower anxiety by decreasing heart rate, blood pressure, heart rate and cardiac output. Evidence says that when yoga is a practice that is adhered to on a regular basis, it is an effective intervention to improve cardiorespiratory fitness, physical functioning and anxious behaviors in children, adolescents, and adults alike.
Yoga is a multitasking modality that simultaneously treats physical impairments as well as psychosocial issues like stress, anxiety or hyperactivity.
Hatha yoga is a generic term that refers to any type of yoga that teaches physical postures. The word hatha is broken into two parts, “ha” meaning “sun”, and “tha”, meaning moon. What this signifies is that the practice is cored in balance.
When a class is marketed as Hatha, it generally means that you will get a gentle introduction to the most basic yoga postures. You probably won't work up a sweat in a hatha yoga class, but you should end up leaving class feeling longer, looser, and more relaxed. It is a wonderful preparation for meditation and concentration.
Our Yoga Instructor
- Sivananda certified, 200-hour level E-RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) the IYA (international yoga alliance), in Hatha style yoga since November 2011.
- Taught children's yoga camp in 2012, internship at an ashram named Shoshoni.
Benefits of Yoga
- Improved depression and can lead to significant increases in serotonin levels
- Improved flexibility by gradual loosening of muscles surrounding bones and joints, protecting from arthritis and back pain
- Helps more oxygen reach to body cells, enhancing their function
- Increased energy
- Decreased adverse medication side effects, increasing quality of life
- Decreased amount of time it takes to fall asleep
- Helps maintain neuromuscular areas of learning and concentration